Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Muse:::Sebastien Tellier>>>Tony Allen...Lead In

Tony Allen can not be touched...I just found out he played drums on this track with Sebastien Tellier who is dope in his own right. Check the vid/drums and the read. Peace.


Lyrics to La Ritournelle :

Oh nothing's going to change my love for you
I wanna spend my life with you
So we make love on the grass under the moon
No one call tell, damned if I do
Forever journey on golden avenues
I drift in your eyes since I love you
I got that beat in my veins for only rule
Love is to share, mine is for you
(Merci à gnazio pour cettes paroles)
Tony Allen
Fela Kuti said that "without Tony Allen, there would be no Afrobeat". It will not be an exaggeration to say that he invented a whole new style of drumming. There are at least three main variations in Afrobeat as far as I can see. Having a double snare hit on beats one and three(Don't Fight and Jakewaleh), having a double kick on beats one and three(Kindness) and having the dotted sixteens on beat one(Masters At Work). I recently noticed one more and will try to put an example here soon.If you go to his web page and then click on the discography link below, there are two live videos. I just noticed in those videos that he almost never plays double sixteen notes on the hi hat, always three sixteen notes. It is hard to tell such a difference from listening to the songs in the albums. For example, it is standard in afro beat to open the hi hat in the second sixteenth note. I wasn't sure if he was doing this with double hits or triple hits. Playing triple sixteenths seems a little harder at first but when you get used to it, the feel of the beats also sounds more close to his playing. If there are only two sixteen notes on the hi hat, you should add the third one and play three of them. Alright, let me not act like I know music...Check his music when time allows...Bless...Define water?

No comments: