Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Quorn




Alright, I can't say I'm feeling the name, but I'm definitely digging the taste!

Quorn is the leading brand of Mycoprotein food products in the United Kingdom. Since 2002, it has been available in the United States. A mycoprotein is a protein-rich food that is made from processed edible fungus. Sounds disgusting, but yo it's delicious! As a vegetarian, I'm always on the search for new foods to bring into the kitchen & I'm really glad I stumbled upon this one.

Quorn makes a number of different foods that can be found at your local grocery store or food coop (Look here to see what spots in your area carry it). My favorite is the "Chick'n Patties." You can prepare them traditionally on a bun with lettuce and tomato or you can get creative & put them on a salad like I did this evening. The price is around 4 dollars for a package of 4. If you're sick of veggie burgers and/or soy-based products, check these out.

*Unfortunately, Quorn is not a vegan food, as it uses egg white as a binder.

No comments: